fot

Re: A couple questions

To: Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A couple questions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:26:18 -0500 ()
Not sure about the rest of your questions, but:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Ronald R Gates wrote:

> I was told that if you use 20/50 racing oil , that meant when the oil is
> cold it is 50 wt. and when it is hot it is 20 wt.

It's just the opposite. When cold, that oil acts like a 20 wt. (thinner
viscosity the lower the number) to make starting easier and less strenuous
on moving parts and starters). When hot, it then acts more like a
"thicker" 50 wt. oil.

> I was also told by a very reliable tr race engine builder that the tr-4
> engine should use straight 50 wt. racing oil or 40 wt. racing oil .

Granted, my car is a Spitfire, but I've used both over the years. I've
used 20w/50 more in recent years (what little I've autocrossed the car,
that is) simply because it has become more difficult for me to find decent
"straight 50 weight" oil. Not that 20w/50 is that easy to find any more.
Yeah, it's out there, but not in the quantities it used to be (in Kmart,
Walmart, etc.). ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,  *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22) *