fot

RE: Pile-o-Parts...Plus driveline vibration inquiry

To: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@seidata.com>
Subject: RE: Pile-o-Parts...Plus driveline vibration inquiry
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:34:06 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Joe,

I've done the test that Paul R. suggested on the TR6... a strobe does
help to see the problem, so if you know someone with an assym. lift that
has a strobe - you should be able to run the car up and see the vibration.

I've done this on jackstands in my garage - def. not recommended unless
your insurance is paid up! I didn't have a problem, but the thought of
the car falling with the rear wheels already at 70 or so makes me shiver.

The assym lift if def. "indicated".

I'd also suggest having the prop shaft dynamically balanced.

Phasing does matter, and if the front yoke of the prop shaft was removed,
it is possible to get the phasing wrong. A good driveline shop should be
able to do this job.

If you've had the vibration for a while - double check the crank pulley
torque. Anyone that was at VTR '96 knows about Steve "Yellow Bullet"
Toth's adventures with a bad u-joint. Hos first indication of his problem
was the crank pulley loosening. We did a lot of work on that car that week!

Jack W. - interesting stories. I particularly like the one about the high
speed miss and the float bowls.

Kool stuff.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |