fot

Fw: Memories of transmission vibration (Very high-tech!!)

To: <jwheeler@seidata.com>
Subject: Fw: Memories of transmission vibration (Very high-tech!!)
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2000 10:27:38 +0100

Jack Wheeler asked

> Paul, another question for you on vibration.  As I mentioned in my notes
> Joe, a heavy weighted steel object was strapped to the back of the
> transmission tail shaft, I believe beginning with the introduction of the

> TR-4A.  I had always heard (or maybe just assumed) that it was some kind
of
> vibration damper.  Could this have been part of the effort to reduce
> vibration in the mid sixties?  I have always removed them on the cars
that
> I have driven/raced without any apparent problem.  Am I missing out on
> something?  Thanks.

Hi Jack

The TR4A damper you are talking about, which had a rubber insert, was
bolted to the gear box tail shaft, to reduce resonant 'hum' on production
cars. These were never used on works competition cars ( BTW the works cars
this side of the pond never used IRS they were all solid axle).

Best wishes

Paul