fot

Crankcase Venting

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Crankcase Venting
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:42:13 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Well, the beast lives again... post operative notes: failure mode -
initially the pressure relief valve was stuck almost closed causing
astronomically high oil pressure, then the valve stuck open causing very
low oil pressure - this latter event occurring while under load - # 5 con
rod bearing taking the worst part of the load.

Anyway, all the "swarf" has been cleared out and bearings replaced "in
situ", I'm 95% confident the thing will run for a while. Oil pressure is
now 65 PSI warm, 80 cold with the Moss "heavy duty" oil pressure relief
spring.

Now, I'm getting a bit of blowby on the rings, I think... I don't have a
leak-down tester to confirm, but this is a new motor with less than one
hour. Anyway, I seem to be getting excessive crankcase pressure, and this
is causing weepage around the valve cover, where the dipstick enters the
block and a bit from the oil filler itself.

I have only one 1/2 inch line venting to a catch tank from the
valve cover. My plan is to drill the "blanking plate" where the mechanical
fuel pump used to go... but to drill it out for a 1/2NPT pipe to AN8
adapter and then run another 1/2 inch hose to the catch tank.

My question is: is a single 1/2 inch hose from the top of the engine and
then another 1/2 hose from the bottom of the engine adequate ventilation
for a relatively mild TR6 engine??

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |