fot

RE: Eligibility Question for Vintage /Historical Question

To: "'EISANDIEGO@aol.com'" <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Eligibility Question for Vintage /Historical Question
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:39:24 -0500
Cary Perket wrote:

>     If a vehicle can be documented by original SCCA logbook photographs to

> have raced in 1972 with flares, is it eligible to continue to do so in
> Vintage?
>
>     Historically, when did the SCCA start allowing flaring in the
production
> classes?

Let the dumbest among us ask a few clarifying questions:

1) Regardless of the answer to Cary's question, would the legality of flares
have any effect on currently allowable track dimensions and/or wheel rim
width?

2) Doesn't the answer to Cary's question have something to do with what
vintage racing association he plans to run with?

3) If one documents with photographs that a particular car raced 30 years or
so ago with flares, does it necessarily follow that the car was legal at the
time? (Having raced production cars on and off through the 60's, I KNOW that
there were cars running de facto flares--not to mention various other
"prodifications"--well in advance of their becoming officially legal . . .)

My own feeling (worth precisely zero) is that an authentic, documented
vintage race car should NEVER have to be 'un-modified' in order to
participate in vintage races.

Jim Hill
Madison WI