fot

RE: Eligibility Question for Vintage /Historical Question

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: RE: Eligibility Question for Vintage /Historical Question
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:06:09 -0400
At 10:39 AM 6/6/00 -0500, Jim Hill wrote:

>2) Doesn't the answer to Cary's question have something to do with what
>vintage racing association he plans to run with?

I think Jim's statement here answers it all.

My limited knowledge of SVRA rules tells me that Cary's car could run in
Group 10, the group that is the "catch all" of cars that don't meet their
strict criteria.

The following text is from the SVRA website:

SVRA Group 10 Detailed Rules

1. Eligibility: Select GT Sports cars and Sedans as raced after 1972. All
cars must have been built or modified to compete in a recognized racing
series. Exceptions must have specific approval in advance of entry application.
2. Modifications: As listed in the SVRA General Rules and Regulations and
as appropnate for the make and model as it competed in a recognized racing
series during this period. It is the responsibility of a competitor to
provide documentation for any specification that is not generally
considered appropriate.
3. Tires: Appropriate sized slicks or treaded tires. Certain "series" cars
and classes may have a specific list of spec tires. These will be listed on
a Supplemental Regulation for that class.
4. Classes: Due to the newness of this group, there will be a certain
amount of experimentation with the class structure.

--- end of SVRA text.

>My own feeling (worth precisely zero) is that an authentic, documented
>vintage race car should NEVER have to be 'un-modified' in order to
>participate in vintage races.

This probably was the thinking behind Group 10...
Henry Frye                      thefryes@iconn.net
http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/amici.html
http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/rollbar.html   <-- Pictures of the new
rollbar