fot

RE: TR-3/4 Engines

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR-3/4 Engines
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:49:23 -0700
I've pulled apart a zillion motorcycle engines in my long history as a bike
wrench and found broken rings in probably a third of them. It doesn't take
much to have an episode of detonation--a tank of bad gas, a botched tuneup.
Most folks just shrug it off and drive, unless it's really bad. But even a
rattle pulling a long hill is enough to erode the piston top and crack the
rings.

The other thing that cracks rings is overheating. If you lose your coolant
or otherwise overheat, the temperature of the rings skyrockets. I used to
gap the rings more than spec in four stroke racing bikes. Two strokes are a
bigger problem because the ring is pinned to keep it from popping out into
the exhaust port. Too much end gap and the ring will hammer the pin loose.
Too little and it will seize. It was real common to pull a seized bike down
and find a deep score where the ring gap was.

Bottom line--never let your engine detonate--even a little. And toss an
extra couple thou into the ring gap (or even better, use total seals).