fot

Re: Line Boring the TR-3/4 Three Main Engine Blocks

To: <WEmery7451@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Line Boring the TR-3/4 Three Main Engine Blocks
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:40:38 -0700
Bill,  I spoke to my machinist about the differences between align
boring and align honing.  When they do an align bore, it is done on
each individual bearing, with a separate set up for each bearing.
They would take very little material off of the flat of the block, and
most off of the cap.  The block should still be align honed after the
boring to get all three bearings lined up and finished off.  the
boring is more of a rough in operation.  This would generally need to
be done if using bearing caps that did not come originally with your
block.  Since each bearing is done with a separate set-up in the
boring operation, it is impossible to get them all lined up perfectly.
     If you are trying to get your original caps lined up, you can
save a step by not doing the boring.  When honing, you have to make
sure that your machinist takes the minimum amount off of the block and
cap flat surfaces, and that will prevent the crank from being pushed
too far up into the block.  My machinist says that he typically will
take 1/1000 off each of the block and cap surfaces as a starting
point.  So it will only move the crank up about 1/1000.  If the holes
were far off, he would sometime have to take more, but he would do it
in stages.  This is more time consuming, but you don't end up with big
changes in the crank height.  Many machinists tend to get in a rush
and just take 5/1000 off the surfaces and then hone it.  That way they
know that they only have to do the honing once, but in this case it
will push the crank up into the block considerably. Joe (B)