fot

Take it; it's free....

To: Herald948@aol.com
Subject: Take it; it's free....
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 20:25:07 EDT
Sorry, this has virtually no real Triumph content, but I had to share it with
someone. Earlier this spring, I retrieved a Triumph Mayflower parts car from
about 200 miles away. In order to get it rolling and on my trailer (and,
undoubtedly out of his sight for good!), the seller equipped the car with two
wheels and tires from a Triumph 2000, and one each wheel and tire from a
Honda and a Hyundai. Once I got home, I put it on "real" Triumph (TR) wheels,
and I stored the 2 wheels from the 2000 (I happen to have one of those).

Not needing either Honda or Hyundai wheels now or ever, I took my best cans
of Ace Hardware Spray Paint and a piece of plyscore and made a sign reading
"FREE"; then I placed the wheels at the end of my driveway -- with the sign
prominently displayed -- and waited.

I'm on a state highway, and it is a major route to nowhere in particular
(except for Saturday nights and Sundays, when folks are headed to/from
Lebanon Valley Speedway or Dragway, respectively). There is a good bit of
traffic, and it took only about a week for both wheels to be "claimed" by new
owners.

Bowled over by this success, I repeated this wondrous bit of marketing about
two weeks before the VTR convention. This time it was a still-usable tire
from my Explorer, which had received all new rubber earlier this summer.
Given the number of trucks and SUVs out here in this very rural area, I
figured it was a sure bet to disappear quickly.

It wasn't gone before I left for Portland, and it still wasn't gone when I
got back. But I noticed this morning that, finally, it was gone...the "FREE"
sign, that is. The tire is still there.

Draw your own conclusions; I assure you that my lettering abilities are
simply NOT that good.

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register