fot

Re: SCCA National Races/ARRC History/Burnside's Book

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SCCA National Races/ARRC History/Burnside's Book
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:33:22 EDT
I have the Tom Burnside book. It is kind of coffee table book.

BTW, I had a 10 Year Road America Anniversary issue book/program at Mid-Ohio,
in June, that I passed around. I can not find it. It was a very nice piece
and I hate to lose it. Anybody end up with it and wonder where it came from?

It showed the TR4 as having the EP Production lap record at 2:59 in 1964.

Regards,

Joe Alexander

<<
     The SCCA website records of winners for the "runoffs" starts on their
 website in 1964. I know there were "National" races in 1963. Was that the
 first year? Was there the equivalent of the ARRC runoffs before that time or
 in 1963?

     Does anyone have a table that shows when certain race classes were
 established by the SCCA and when Triumphs became involved in those classes?
 Does SCCA have a reference with this information in it?

     I just purchased a copy of Tom Burnsides book American Racing Road
racing
 in 1950s and 1960s. I was very disappointed to find virtualy nothing on
 Triumphs. I had the opportunity at Pebble Beach historics to meet Burnsides.
 I asked him about the availability of other photographs. I was surprised to
 learn that he did not know about either Kas's team or the Group 44 Team.

     I also had the opportunity to purchase some old issues (pre 1973) of
 Sports Cars (SCCA Magazine). I only have about three or four, but in certain
 classes it was clearly Triumph had the largest number of qualifiers for the
 ARRC and many top five finishers. Having not been active in racing at that
 time, I was very surprised.

     Would be nice if the writers and photographers among us could
collaborate
 on a works about Triumph Racing in the US so uninformed people like me could
 learn more about Triumphs. We need to help future generations appreciate
 these cars.

     PS: Among the 1971 Qualifiers for the ARRC was Erwin "Ernie" Lorincz. He
 raced in the very same GP Spitfire that won Watkins Glen in 1963. He
finished
 fifth. It is amazing that this man raced from 1963 through 1971 with this
 Spitfire and few people seem to know much more about him other than having
 met him once.

 Cary