fot

Devin trivia

To: rjl6n@cstone.net, EISANDIEGO@aol.com, LANG@isis.mit.edu,
Subject: Devin trivia
From: JFrymark@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:30:55 EST
In a message dated 11/30/00 4:23:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rjl6n@cstone.net writes:

<< At 10:24 AM 11/30/00 -0500, EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:
 >  Apparently VARA allows him to run this particular car. Does anyone know
 >whether the V8 Buick conversion was run competitively before 1972? I have
 >seen one Devin with other V8 which was claimed to have been raced prior to
 >1972. I recall that it was a corvette block, but I do not trust my memory
any
 >more.

 The Devin SS used a Chevy block and was definitely raced long
 before 1972.  They are pretty rare and rather expensive now.

"The guy" running in VARA is Pancho Kohner. His yellow Devin runs a Buick
motor and it's beautiful and fast, but "a handful in the corners"...with
understeer I imagine! I know he bought the car a while ago and hasn't changed
the setup.

For Devin background, see a story in 6/89 Victory Lane (all I have is bad
photocopies of Pgs 58 & 60, sorry). I was researching info on Ak Miller's
Devin-Ford Pike's Peak racer available 4 years ago. What a Frankenstein!!!!
Model A front end and '56 Ranchero rearend. It was powered by a Ford 406 cid
V-8 (long gone) when it won the Hillclimb in 1962. Time and "street
modifications" hadn't improved it.

The article also mentions that Dean Moon campaigned a Devin bodied dragster
"Moonbeam" with a 640 HP supercharged engine that ran over 200mph on the
Bonneville salt flat and Andy Granatelli set drag race records with a
supercharged Devin C (Corvair power I think). Bottom-line: Anything goes
in(to) a Devin!

John Frymark
Triumph-powered TR4A