fot

Re: Sway Bars: A new company

To: N197TR4@cs.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sway Bars: A new company
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:17:31 EST
In a message dated 1/17/01 5:30:21 PM Pacific Standard Time, N197TR4@cs.com
writes:

<< I contacted the list, earlier,  and got some recommendations...One was
size
 of the bar at about 1 inch minimum (Kas Kastner) if I remember correctly. >>

Hi Joe,

Once I got away from the standard store bought sway bars of the 60's, I used
a self made bar by bending 1" bar stock and welding on rod end anchor points
using small pieces of angle iron.  The front of the bar was anchored with two
split aluminum blocks.

The next stage was a Jack Wheeler solid steel 1" rod with spline ends, side
arms, and bearing mounts for the bar.  I had to shorten it for the TR-3, and
had the machinist reinstall the spline on one end.  This bar was an
improvement, but the side arms were too short making it necessary to run the
bar under the car, where it was being distroyed by the asphalt.

This bar was replaced by a 1 1/4" Speedway Engineering hollow bar.  It's
specifications are:

                                                    S. Bar TBL 1-1/4 x
48Sx1/4WL 29"
                                                    Two ARM ALU S.BAR
1-1/4X48SP STRAIGHT (spline side arms)
                                                    I located and drilled my
own 1/2" hole and cut off some length with
                                                    hack saw.
                                                    Shaft Collar 1-1/4 IN DIA.
                                                    Pillow BLK MTG Bronze

The side arms are mounted to the center front bolt holes of the lower control
arms with two 1/2" rod ends screwed together.  I didn't pull the John Lye
side arm bend maneuver to anchor the rod ends to the outer front control arm
bolt hole beside the wheel.  This could be an improvement.

I did this in 1996.  There are probably better setups now.