fot

Fuel Testing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel Testing
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:29:22 EDT
Dear Foters,

Yesterday, I attended a SCCA, Steel Cities Region meeting at John Walko's
garage.  The subject was fuel testing.  Our head Tech. Inspector was there.
Club members were bringing samples of their gasoline to be tested.  I was
asked what kind of fuel I had been using.  My answer was the leaded Sunoco
Cam 2 or the Nascar 76 gasoline's.  I was informed that this fuel might not
pass.

My questions were: Is SCCA trying to eliminate itself again?  Every old
engine or big bore high compression engine is using the high octane leaded
gasoline's.  Are they going to flunk all of the fuels supplied at the tracks?
 The answer was that some of the Regular low octane street gasoline's will
fail.  Unfortunately, I did not have a Cam-2 sample with me to be tested.

Apparently, some racers are buying $30/gallon fuels or using exotic additives
for more power.  The results are that they are stinking out grid and corner
workers, and making them sick.  These fuels also ruin engines, but the
wealthily racers are just paying mechanics to replace their engine for every
weekend.

I am sure that most of this membership is further ahead than I am on this
subject, and that I might be completely off-base.