fot

Re: Fuel Testing

To: WEmery7451@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Testing
From: Bob Bownes <bownes@web9.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 10:19:56 -0700
Note: I've CC'd a known authority on the subject and expect Richard will
point out all/any errors I've made. I'll forward any replies of his.

They have not outlawed the high octane leaded fuels. Far from it in
fact. It sounds like you have a somewhat confused Tech inspector. This
is not uncommon on this issue.

What was happening is that a very small number of competitors in what
are essentially spec classes (F*, SR*, AS) were running exotic fuels and
additives which were driving up the cost of racing (@ tens of dollars
per gallon) rather dramatically as well as making their fellow
competitors ill. The effects on corner workers, paddock, etc was also a
concern. There is one unconfirmed report of a tear off melting on a
competitor's helmet while behind one of these folks on a grid.

As a result, SCCA took fairly swift action (took about 6 months) to
outlaw the exotic fuels and additives. In doing so, it created a rather
complex set if rules in an effort to get the desired effect. Fuel
testing is now part of the SCCA game (as it is in nearly every other
form of motor racing nowadays), though not often done on a regional
level. The net net is that you should read the rules on gas.

IIRC, the rules also *suggest* the testers test fuel straight from the
pumps as well as gas from the cars on any given weekend.

*If* I recall correctly, the general rule is street cars (AS, IT*, SS)
should be using unleaded fuel as available from the gas station, while
everyone else should be using high octane leaded gas from the track
pumps. BUT the rule, as with all rules, is rather imperfectly written
*and* I may be recalling incorrectly. I know there is an issue with the
IT and Prod Mazdas because they need a small amount of oil mixed in to
the fuel. The two stroke 500's have their own exception as well. Grab a
copy of the rules and read them. And keep them close by.

But Cam2 or other 'race' gas should pass and you should be fine *if*:

        You have not mixed it with street 'pump' gas
        You have not mixed it with any additives
        It is relatively fresh
        You race in a class which allows it.

My personal issue is that:

        a) It forces me to buy $4.50/gal race fuel when standard $1.95/gal
        pump gas was fine for me in my FV
        b) Some cars actually run better on low octane fuel (rotaries)
requiring them to run race gas is a disadvantage.

But, on the flip side, in the interest of safety, I'm willing to put up
with it.

Bob