fot

Re: Couple of questions....

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Couple of questions....
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:54:18 -0700
I've tried every type of lightening of the followers there is I think.  End
result was that boring out the interior was the best, most effective and
easiest. The oil seems to be in the air inisde the lifter most of the time
and drain holes didn't have any effect except a t very low revs.- For dyno
work I cut a groove in the inside of the lifter so that I could come through
the pushrod hole of the head with a "grabber"
engage the groove and pull each lifter up off the camshaft but still in the
bore of the block.  I'd hold the grabber up with a clothes pin. This allowed
us to change the camahfts or change the timing of the camshaft in about a
half hour instead of three hours.-  Valves... I ground a 3/8" tool bit to
the shape and used that in the lathe.  Makes a single cut possible and easy
to do.  Be sure your cross slide is tight and you only have the overhang of
tool just enough to do the job  or you'll chatter on the valve head.