fot

RE: Forwarded note [ames@cmn.net: RE: fot-digest V1 #361]

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Forwarded note [ames@cmn.net: RE: fot-digest V1 #361]
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:35:08 -0700
I save all of Kas' responses since they comprise a nice library of answers
to tech questions. I just looked up this issue this morning since Peyote
overheated last weekend (first time also). I've pasted Kas' comments at
the end. The fluctuating temperature is almost certainly from surface
boiling on the sleeves--you get a local hot spot that creates a steam
bubble--that bubble reduces the heat transfer capability of the affected
area and it gets even hotter. The bubble grows until turbulence collapses
it, and the rush of water to the hot surface causes a temperature spike.
The cycle can continue until the localized heating causes the piston to
seize and then it all runs away down hill. In nuclear power plants we call
this Departure from Nucleate Boiling (DNB) and the end result if the
critical heat flux is exceeded is called bulk boiling, which is very bad.
Been a long time since I was a nuke--amazing how this stuff sticks around
in the dusty recesses of the gooey computer.

Kas' answer is right on. Increasing the radiator size may not solve the
problem since it may be caused by local flow patterns and/or too low a
pressure within the heat exchanger (the cylinder) or even things like a
big, oily fingerprint on the cylinder wall. I pulled down a TR3 motor once
and found one of the cylinders was PAINTED!! Tell me you didn't do that.