fot

RE: Aluminum hub

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Aluminum hub
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:41:15 -0700
Actually shifting your ass one inch either way would do more.

I recently bought some hyper-expensive Longacre Computer Scales to play
with the corner weights, etc on my new Radical--a car that definitely
demands a high tech approach to everything. Of course I stuck Peyote on
the scales, even though I don't have much of a way to adjust corner
weights (I guess I could shove some of those Pep Boys spring wedges into
the front springs--I found some in my old TR3). I was surprised to find
that the balance was far better than I have yet been able to achieve
through endless fiddling on the Radical  (whenever I get the weights even
close the ride height is AFU), with it's full adjustability!! Of course
the splitter on the Radical needs to be about the thickness of a nickel
off the track--I can bleed the brakes without a jack on Peyote.

Still, with the fat assed driver in place in Peyote the diagonal weights
(the most critical) were within a few pounds. Front to front was within 16
pounds, and rear to rear was less than 10.

All I can assume is that Bob Ames or Pat Starr anticipated my exact weight
and built the car accordingly. Pretty remarkable guys. Either that or it's
aliens or Leprechauns fiddling in the shop late at night.