fot

Flywheels, clutches and input shafts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheels, clutches and input shafts
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:45:29 EDT
 After running the 1956 flywheel (much lighter than the later stock ones)
 I went to a Mueller aluminum flywheel, which lasted for quite some time
before a
270 degree crack developed all the way through, front to back, around the
outside
of the recess to the inside of the clutch surface.  A good thing that the
ARRC was not a lap longer that year!
I then went to a twin plate Tilton, after a personal chat with Mac.  It
worked well until we thinned the ring gear too much.  When we went to the
Tilton starter, Mac said
that the single disk clutch had progressed to the point of being the way to
go, so we had a new flywheel made for that set up.

As for Baxter's Peyote question, the input shaft was a modified STN 53
gearset intended for the Dolomite Sprint.  As the sprint had an adapter plate
between the "TR7" 4 valve per cylinder block and TR6 gearbox housing, it was
necessary to cut the input shaft back behind the std TR6 spline OD, so most
were modified by after market firms to the 2000/ GT6  1" X 10 SAE.  Things
like proper radii and hardness
were not always done correctly, and a few broke as a result.  Nonetheless,
this was a nice gearset, although there were more than a few tricks to get it
built correctly.

  Hardy

<< I couldn't use
 my cool
 > little clutch plate 'cause I didn't realize my trans doesn't have a
 TR3/4