fot

Speaking of Flywheels...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaking of Flywheels...
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:23:31 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I'm just about ready to toss in the CR gearbox in my TR6 autocrosser. This
is the CR obtained with the "Dolly Sprint" gearset.

As many of you know, the input shaft is a 1" 23 spline as opposed to the
stock big TR gearbox which is 13 splines, I think. At any rate, I'm
looking at this venture as an opportunity, so to speak to "upgrade" the
clutch...

I'm currently using an aluminium flywheel - supposedly a Tilton unit. Now,
I could just install a new clutch disk and be done with it, but with all
the descriptions of exploding clutches etc. I started thinking that
upgrading to a "real race clutch" might be justified.

I know just about nothing about real racing clutches, but I assume that
whatever conversion I do will result in a smaller diameter clutch. The
question is: seeing that the Tilton F.W. is set up for a stock TR6 8-1/2"
clutch - does the racing clutch require that I machine the flywheel for a
different size clutch surface (e.g. where the clutch disk contacts the
flywheel)?

My alternative is to go to a full setup from somewhere (like Tilton) or
10,000 RPM... I'd like to know any experiences that you may have seen in
this area.

I'm also planning some sort of foot/lower leg shield "just in case".

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |