fot

Re: AC fuel pumps - Prone to failure??

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, twakeman@cruzers.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AC fuel pumps - Prone to failure??
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:51:45 EST
In a message dated 11/1/01 12:05:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

<< We ran AC motor/gear pumps for years and years ( without a diaphrame) and
 never had a failure. >>

Going back to ancient times, we were installing electric fuel pumps (when the
rules allowed this move) to get the fuel source away from the engine heat.
Also, Kas's book recommends this due to the potential loss of oil.

The above pumps worked very well, except they seemed to occasionally fail.
Once a little hole blew out of the  casting and gasoline was spraying around
in the trunk.  I was using Sunoco 260 spiked with octane booster at the time,
and the corner worker said that I was leaving a stream of blue fluid behind
me.  I decided not to plug the holes in the trunk floor in case this happened
again.

Others would eventually appear to be working properly, but lose pumping
capacity and cause the car to start muttering at the end of the back
straight.  Right now, I am using a universal American parts store rotary
pump, with a new spare carried along to the track.  I am not sure how good
these are, but should eventually find out.