fot

Re: Speed Channel?

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Speed Channel?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:28:32 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Joe Curry wrote:

> I was watching a program about Formula 1 racing on Speed Vision
> tonight and at the end one of the announcers stated that they hoped to
> bring you more Formula 1 coverage next year but it would be on "Speed
> Channel" not Speed Vision.

Yep, that's right, Speed Channel.

> Does anyone know what is up with that?  Is there going to be a new
> channel since the buyout of Speed Vision by the Fox Network?

Yes, I do. Fox was a majority owner in Speedvision. After they sort of
mucked up the deal to broadcast NASCAR on Fx and all the rest of the "Fox
Network Stations", they decided to exercise thier option to purchase
the remaining shares of Speedvision.

The new owner wants to expand the brand.

We shall see what happens.

On various other lists that I'm on, folks are "concerned" about
SpeedChannel becoming all NASCAR, but supposedly SC has inked deals for
CART and some other major series (F1 is not a done deal at this time) so
there is the possibility that some of the progreamming will remain
unchanged.

Check out the Speedvision web site. There was an "open letter" from Jim
Libertante (I may have his name wrong, but this person is the president of
the new entity) that explains the desire to continue some of the stuff
that "we" like.

But get ready for more NASCAR, for sure.

> Joe (C)

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |