fot

Re: Government assault on our toys!

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Government assault on our toys!
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 23:19:45 -0700
Joe Curry wrote:

> Bill,
> I doubt there is anything to worry about.  The intent of the bill is to get
>polluters off the street.  Nobody in their right mind is going to turn in
> a classic car for scrap!
>
> So rest easy, we are perfectly safe from "Big Brother"!!

For the reasons (some misguided) as stated in the original email, this
is an idea which will not go away. There have been attempts to institute
similar legislation at the state level in at least Ohio and California.
SEMA, though, has been fairly effective in lobbying for aftermarket
firms, and by extension, hobbyists.

Unfortunately, everywhere this legislation pops up, it has not
originally included exemptions benefitting hobbyists. The proposed Ohio
legislation, in particular, was quite unfriendly. Some of the list
members from those areas above may be able to comment more completely
than I on the substance and outcome of the proposed bills.

I'll bet, though, that NADA lobbyists have had some influence in
crafting the language of all such legislation, since it would ultimately
have the effect of increasing new car sales.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....