fot

DOT windshield requirements

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: DOT windshield requirements
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:24:19 -0600
Marty Sukey wrote:

> if one were to want to build a mostly race car and yet wanted
> to be able to run historic license plate so that one could drive
> around the block for tweaking or to drive to local events . . .
> what are the minimum requirements for [a windshield]

There may well be federal rules that apply to windshields, but normally the
FBI doesn't run around issuing tickets for equipment violations.

Which leaves you with the wildly varying state laws and regulations, which
are usually enforced only if you've been stopped for some _other_
transgression. If your "mostly race car" is already titled and registered,
the hard work is done - the rest is a matter of safe driving, common sense
and artful negotiation  :-)

The most serious risk you run with driving behind Brooklands windscreens is
not a citation but getting hit in the face with debris thrown up by another
car.

I used to test my Formula Ford on country roads when there was enough
moonlight for navigation, no competing traffic and no audience except for
dairy cattle, but that's a whole different story . . .

Jim Hill
Madison WI