fot

RE: Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System

To: <WEmery7451@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:10:18 -0800
Part of the problem may be that, as discussed on this list at
times...bearings aren't exactly what they used to be either...

Vandervell tri-metal bearings are hard to come by and after reading some of
the comments on this list, I was very relieved to find a complete set of
.010 under Vandervell bearings for the TR4A. The factory had trouble with
bearings and had to upgrade them when developing the engine for the TR2
(ref: Triumph Guide).

Are you using the modern bearings available today or Vandervells?

While bearing quality may have declined, I think oil quality has gained
tremendously from the 50's and 60's. I have used Castrol Syntec in the TR4A
since it's break in with new pistons and sleeves 15 years ago...

Yes...I am dealing with a spun rod bearing right now, but...that's because I
replaced everything in the engine you could without tearing it out of the
car. That old, out of round crank was going to catch up with me
eventually...and it did! The pistons and sleeves had virtually no wear at
all in those 15 years and 40,000 miles.

Just one opinion...

Cheers

Brad
TR4A - With NOS Vandervells!

<<It appears that I am suffering spun bearing problems more often now than I
did with nothing more than the stock system.  Maybe I am out smarting
myself. >>