fot

Re: Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System

To: WEmery7451@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph-3/4 Oil Lubricating System
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:10:56 -0500
At 07:55 PM 02/25/02 -0500, WEmery7451@aol.com wrote:

>Any recommendations, suggestions, or opinions will be greatly appreciated.  I
>would also appreciate anyone who would be so kind as to explain how their
>lubrication systems are hooked up, if they consider their system successful.

I consider it successful, but remember I am pretty new to all this. This
setup went 6 race weekends, I changed the bearings after the first 3
weekends, could have gotten several more with no problems. The engine got
torn down again because of the broken crank, and again the bearings were
perfect. Could have gone a few more race weekends easily.

I use the stock filter head with the oil pressure relief valve. I took
apart several of the heads I have, found the one with the best looking seat
for the valve. Then took one of the balls and welded it to a rod. I used
this to lap the seat with valve grinding compound. I then took the best
ball I could find. I did the brass drift procedure, as found in the
overdrive repair manual, tapping the ball into the seat to get the best
seal possible. I found the best spring out of the bunch, and reassembled.

I go right from the stock head to a Flotec spin on adapter. I was not real
pleased with the size of the openings in the Flotec, so opened them up a
little. I then screwed on one of those remote oil filter fittings,
basically a block with two 1/2 inch NPT fittings. From the output I run to
a remote oil filter, with a Wix 1 quart filter. Then out to the oil cooler
and back to the input.

The oil pan has a baffle running front to back to prevent sloshing. The 3
quart Accusump is tapped directly into the main oil gallery at the location
of the rearmost bolt.

It seems to work very well, is not real exotic nor expensive. The Accusump
does get hot after a run, so it is seeing some hot oil. I have wondered
just how necessary it really is on more than one occasion!