fot

RE: faulty parts alert

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: faulty parts alert
From: "Russ Moore" <rem@cbord.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:29:52 -0400
Also as a side note on questionable parts, beware of some of the aftermarket
(TR2-6)transmission countershafts out there. The oiling hole is mis-aligned
and will cause wear problems especially in a competition scenario. Compare a
replacement with the original to be sure.
Also, any components with Taiwanese rubber should be suspect. I and others
have had the experience where the rubber disintegrates in 6 months or less.
There seems to be a definate relation to where the parts are sourced.
Quinten Hazel still makes suspension and front end components and have a
good reputation. I have never had one of these fail.
Synchros for the big TR's are a long documented problem with undersized and
soft reproductions from Taiwan flooding the market. Caution is advised in
your purchasing.
Sadly, it used to be only the "bargain basement" parts venders that had poor
quality items, it now seems more widespread, even to the "Big 3". Exercise
caution and ask where the parts came from. Using price alone as your
determination factor will almost guarantee you will find an inferior part.
As these cars become older and the costs of manufacturing properly designed
new bits increases, saving the used but servicable parts begins to make more
sense. Certainly the 1-2 synchro is usually spent, but it's not very often
the 3-4 is worn out. Buyer beware should come to mind.

There are always "cheaper oats" on the market for the bargain hunters! Just
make sure they haven't already been through the horse!

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49
Fingerlakes Triumph Assn. founder