fot

Re: faulty parts alert

To: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: faulty parts alert
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:11:59 -0500
The 2nd gear tophat bronze bushings were used in all the TR boxes until
late TR6.  Second gear is 1.155 wide.  To provide the proper gear lash,
the book says that the bushing should be 1.160 to 1.162 plus the thrust
flange of 0.120 to 0.122.  The one I received came from TRF through Moss
and a Moss distributor.  It was 1.151 with a flange of 0.121, i.e. 0.004
less than the gear width.  The distributor ordered two others that were
also too small.  Nelson Reidel (the Buckeye Triumphs guy that has
written all the excellent stuff on gearboxes and ODs) has also run into
the problem.  I've found the correct bushings at Racestorations, but for
the outrageous price of 27.50 GBP plus shipping.  Is there any reason
why the thrust washer has to be part of the bushing?  Why couldn't you
use a normal bushing and off-the-shelf thrust washer (1.25 ID, 2.25 OD
and 0.125 thick)? The need for a lathe is becoming more apparent.