fot

Re: aw nuts!

To: Herald948@aol.com
Subject: Re: aw nuts!
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 18:59:32 -0700
Herald948@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/11/2002 9:14:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> bownes@seiri.com writes:
>
> > ...The mice had filled the mufflers with acorns....
>
> Back when I was about 17 or so, I had stripped out the Herald sedan (which
> I'm still reassembling/restoring again 32 years later, but more about THAT
> another time) and placed the engine neatly on the floor of my parents'
> garage. It was complete down to the carburetor and manifolds. A number of
> years later, when I went to reinstall it in the aforementioned Herald sedan,
> I discovered that the manifold and all the ports on the head were stuffed
> full of birdseed. Took a bit of cleaning up....
>
> Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when I decided to change the
> long-neglected air filter on the Ford Explorer, whereupon I discovered in the
> housing a large clump of hair and hair-like substances. This apparently had
> been accumulated over some period of time, as it actually had begun to take
> the shape (and density) of carpet underlayment. Didn't affect the performance
> of the Explorer, though. And that's not something one would ever find in the
> oil bath air cleaner on the Herald....

Andy, Your message reminds me of one time (again in WA) when I started
exploring why my wife's Firebird was severely down on power.  When I pulled off
the air cleaner top, the entire housing outside the element was packed with
either dog or at food (we had both).  I wonder if it was the same mouse
that made his deposits in Huxley's Monza system???  Apparently he carried the
loot into the snout and couldn't get it past the mesh/paper Fram Filter
element!

Joe