fot

Re: Overdrive Wiring or Not

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive Wiring or Not
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 12:57:53 +1200
Larry,
The TR gearchange isn't great for an overdrive as each gear has its own
switch, so as you go from overdrive 3rd to overdrive 4th the unit is
switched out and then back in again as you go through neutral. 'A' type and
'D' type overdrives should have a relay in the circuit as the initial 30 amp
current will tend to destroy small switch contacts, a 'J' type doesn't need
one. If you use a big non original operating switch then the relay could be
dispensed with.
John Kipping