fot

Re: Overdrive Wiring or Not

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive Wiring or Not
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 20:59:15 -0500
If you have any thoughts that you might forget to disengage the OD, you
should leave the stock switches on the top of the gearbox in place.  They
add complexity and unreliability to the circuit, but protect you from
$1000+ in damage.  Everyone I've seen run one uses the solenoid, but I've
often wondered why not engage it mechanically since I've seen many people
have problems with the electric engagement.  The top cover switches are in
the low current side of the relay in the stock setup, so if you run the top
cover switches you'll need to run a relay as well or you'll probably burn
out the top cover switches.  The simplest electric setup would be a high
current switch directly connected to the solenoid, but you'd have to be
extremely careful when that switch gets turned on.

- Tony Drews