fot

Triumph water pumps

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph water pumps
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:06:28 EDT
Greetings Amici,
I spent the weekend playing around with the water pump on the GT6, trying
different combinations of things in an effort to improve cooling.  I put a
pressure gauge on the block and ran it into the dash with 1/8" copper line
thinking to monitor pressures.  I was surprised to find Zero pressure at idle
(with the rad cap off) and only saw 5-7 PSI when revved.  Putting on the cap
the pressures came up to about 15 but that was with the temp coming up and
not a result of the pump.  A very trustworthy source on this list told me I
should see 20-25 PSI at the drain plug for best results.  (Right Kas?)
So the question, has anyone played around with their pumps, have any idea of
the flow rates?  Does anybody measure pressures?  I swear I measured 20 PSI
at that fitting years back because I had to adjust the restrictor in the
T-stat housing to get it up there.
I'm a bit stumped...
Steve Smith