fot

RE: Triumph water pumps

To: "'Gt6steve@aol.com'" <Gt6steve@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Triumph water pumps
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:09:28 -0700
Actually, the last thing you'd want is an efficient pump. It would use up
lots of horsepower at higher RPM. It's extremely rare for cooling flow
rate to be the problem with overheating in engines--in fact the flow
usually has to be reduced. Usually the biggest problems are radiator size
and efficiency, fouling of the surfaces to be cooled, and flow design
inside the engine. Pumping more water can easily do more harm than good.

If you're having overheating problems the three best things you can do is
flush the heck out of your cooling system (use a flushing compound with
some detergent--your sleeves are likely to be fouled with oil (it's
British!!), make sure your shrouds are directing all the airflow through
your rad, and replace your radiator with something more modern. You can
get a custom-made radiator that looks like your old one for not much money
at any really good radiator shop. Better yet, have them make you one
that's big enough to really fill the intake hole.