fot

Near Disaster

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Near Disaster
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:45:03 EDT
Joe

       I received a call yesterday from the guy who was transporting a TR7
parts car for me. Somehow in the process of loading or transporting, the
deteriorated fuel line on the TR7 was further damaged, resulting in the
leakage of gasoline into his enclosed trailer during transport. In any case,
three quarters of way to the destination he is alerted by a motorist that
liquids (gasoline) where leaking from the back of his enclosed trailer.
Fortunately everything was brought under control quickly without explosion or
fire. The spillage was contained, but the trailer floor has obviously been
soaked with gasoline.

       It was a deteriorated fuel line that caused this problem. This made me
think of the previous FOT discussions about how newer fuels seem to be more
damaging to older car rubber and plastic parts. This car had been stored
outside for a number of years with a relatively full fuel tank by the seller.
It was not operating. Just the type of situation that some of you mentioned
earlier would lead to this type of problem.

       Like most of you, this transportor and I have picked up number cars
for parts over the years. There were no leaks when where the car was stored
or immediately upon loading. However, we just did not inspect the fuel line
carefully enough to see it condition.

       I personally am going to start removing all fuel before transporting
older stored parts cars (which may not have averted some spillage, but
certainly would not have been smaller).

Cary