fot

RE: Near Disaster

To: "'N197TR4@cs.com'" <N197TR4@cs.com>, EISANDIEGO@aol.com,
Subject: RE: Near Disaster
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:12:21 -0700
Open trailers don't help that much. I friend of mine (the guy who built my
Norton--Kenny Dreer) had a number of really fine bikes burn up on an open
trailer. Fuel leak + cigarette out the driver's side window=boom. An
ex-friend of his was driving and tossed the cigarette.

I listened to what Carroll Smith said about aeroquip gas lines. Still, I
had one come loose and filled my trailer with a spooky layer of gas.

It's amazing that we don't have more fires.

My '67 Mistral Maserati was a Molotov cocktail. They have two gas tanks
connected with a balance line that runs from low point to low point. They
have stainless braided line and Aeroquip connectors (or the Italian
equivalent) from the tanks to the engine, but the balance line is a wimpy
rubber line with hose clips. Unremarkably, there were many Mistrals that
burned in the back end. I got a nose clip from one after I clobbered mine
into a bridge abutment.

Stock TR3 tanks are insane! A wimpy flat steel tank strapped right behind
the driver and passenger. Yikes!! They make Pintos look safe.

Bottom line--old cars leak gas. Be werry, werry ca-a-a-a-uwful.