fot

Lifter hardness

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Lifter hardness
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 05:53:40 -0500
The bigger question on the subject of lifter hardness is "How do we get
Moss's attention to this problem?

Several years ago there was a rash of total engine failures because of soft
lifters. Then they got it "straightened out" according to their tech
department, and "haven't had much trouble lately", and I'm quoting them
accurately.

Then a couple of months ago I got a batch of lifters that were machined
improperly -- the bore on three of them was too deep. Now, in today's
modern industrial world, we know that this was not just three lifters in
their inventory of hundreds. It was at least one whole production run.

I tried to get Moss to give this some attention and inspect their
inventory. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. They wouldn't respond to my
calls after I told them they had the problem.

Now comes the lifter hardness question again. Do you suppose this is going
to cost Moss anything? Naahh. Do you suppose it's going to cost their
customers anything? Oh, only $3000 to $10,000 per customer, depending on
the state of the engine.

I guess it's too much to expect a company to identify problem parts and
inspect them to assure the required quality.

uncle jack