fot

Re: Phantom Grip LSD

To: fasttrs@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Phantom Grip LSD
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:04:50 EDT
Amici,
I just installed my Phantom Grip in the GT6 diff yesterday.  Took about a
half hour with basic tools.

The diff was already out of the car and clean.  I had to remove the ring gear
to get working clearance.  Drive out the cross pin retaining pin.  The hole
is peened over to retain it so I drilled the hole clean again.  I then drove
out the retaining pin and then drove out the spider gear cross pin.  The
Phantom Grip fits between the drive gears OK but the spider gears were too
close.  I simply hit them with the sander a few times to open the gap.  I
thought about leaving out the cup bushings but in the end sanded the face
again to allow space to put the bushings back in.  Then I simply reassembled
the spiders and the cross pin, inserted the retaining pin and peened the hole
over.  I released the retainer bars on the P.G. and it snapped out to provide
the load on the drive gears.  I tested it with a cheater bar, got a large
degree of drag and then realized I'd forgotten to put in the high pressure
springs they sent for the GT6's torque.  Damn!
Put the straps back on and repeat the entire process above with the heavier
springs.  I left out the fiber washers under the drive gears this time
thinking they'd get hammered out soon anyway.
There is considerable resistance to turning the axle gears from the high
preload.  The P.G. block rotates somewhat to contact the spider gears and
provide additional preload on them but I don't see any true "lockup".  I
question whether it will be enough for the racing demands but I think this
would be great in a street car.  A cheap and cheerful limited slip.  I also
think it will be entirely adequate for the small bore racers and I can see
why Sprites and Spits are happy with them.
I'll try to get it installed before our next race and try it but I fear it
may not provide enough drag for my car.  The TR's might be OK because
everything is so much bigger in there providing that much more friction.
I don't see where wear is likely to be an issue considering the small amount
of time the spiders will be working relative to overall.  Nonetheless I'll be
using synthetic oil.  I wonder if a straight gear oil with the limited slip
additive would be better?
Steve Smith

<< What kinds of tools are required to install these? If I buy one from you
 would I have to have Bill Perry install it? He is the closest to me I
 think.
 I have a TR6 racecar. I presently have a Quaife that overheats and
 occasionally spins when I hit the FIA curbing.

 Mike Munson
 Snellville Ga. >>