fot

Re: Phantom Grip LSD

To: Gt6steve@aol.com
Subject: Re: Phantom Grip LSD
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:02:07 -0400
At 11:04 AM 9/16/2002 -0400, Gt6steve@aol.com wrote:

>I'll try to get it installed before our next race and try it but I fear it
>may not provide enough drag for my car.  The TR's might be OK because
>everything is so much bigger in there providing that much more friction.
>I don't see where wear is likely to be an issue considering the small amount
>of time the spiders will be working relative to overall.  Nonetheless I'll be
>using synthetic oil.  I wonder if a straight gear oil with the limited slip
>additive would be better?

Steve,

Thanks for the excellent review of the installation. I am looking forward
to reading what you think of the unit on track.

The more I think about how the Phantom is supposed to work, the more I
think it is going to overheat the diff real fast. If it locked quickly,
heat would be much less of a factor. The big TR's will provide more
friction as the surface area the blocks are running on is larger, but that
also means they will create more heat. I can smell the pinion seals burning
already!    ;-)

Contrary to your comment about wear not being an issue, the solid axle TR's
do lift the inside wheel quite easily, ask any fast solid axle TR pilot
with a Quaife! Especially if you hit the curbing. If you experience wheel
spin on just one corner of the track, every lap you are spinning the
assembly. Since you are pretty hard on the throttle at the time the wheel
spin occurs it seems to me you are going to be spinning the thing pretty
fast and furious until the wheel drops and regains traction.

My suggestion for oil would be the least "slippery" you can get, trying to
get the Phantom to grab as best it can. Your thought about limited slip
additive is worth investigating, but isn't that stuff supposed to make the
LS release easier? I always thought you added the LS additive when your LS
was making noise and getting sticky...

Good luck with it and please tell us what you think!