fot

Re: Head Gasket

To: "Chuck Arnold" <Chuck.Arnold@oracle.com>, "for" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Gasket
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:16:46 +1300
If you have a flat block (ie non recessed) then it is possible to use the
copper type head gasket as fitted to a GT6 Mk I. Although this uses the
smaller 3/8 head studs the gasket can be used by screwing all the studs into
place after placing the head gasket on the block - this also means the
gasket doesn't move at all under tightening which can be a cause of
premature failure. Found all this out after converting a GT6 Mk I block to
take the 7/16 head studs so we could use a Mk II type head, the normal Mk II
gasket blocked water flow through the head itself causing violent
overheating.  Three days before setting off for Cape Town we tried the
copper gasket and everything was sorted.
John Kipping