fot

Re: GT6 ring and pinion interchange?

To: erik@midwestfilter.com, fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
Subject: Re: GT6 ring and pinion interchange?
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:04:57 EST
In a message dated 12/17/2002 9:57:24 AM Central Standard Time,
erik@midwestfilter.com writes:

> Do Spitfire/GT6 ring and pinions have to remain in matched pairs?
>
> Are the 9 teeth on a 4.11 pinion the same as the 9 teeth on a 3.89 pinion?
>
> I've got a Spitfire 4.11 (37 tooth ring, 9 tooth pinion) with weak input
> and output splines. I've also got a GT6 3.89 (35 tooth ring, 9 tooth
> pinion) which has the stronger splines.  I'd like to swap the 37 tooth ring
>
> into the GT6 pumpkin. This is for our $2003 Challenge car so it only has to
>
> survive a few 1/4 mile and autocross runs.
>
> Thanks!

Erik:

I'm no expert in these matters, but it's my understanding that while it might
not be important with 'new parts', once they've been run and mated, they
should no longer be switched around.

Others will probably have more meaningful input.

Bill Dentinger