fot

lever shocks

To: cartravel@pobox.com
Subject: lever shocks
From: BRITPAC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:18:45 EST
Apple Hydraulics offers a service to rebuild them to competition specs.

My TR3 is hardest on the rear lever shocks on Greatrace, where we face hours
of roads much worse than most race tracks. I usually blow out one shock per
race, and have to top them up every 1500 miles.

There was a good article in British Car on performance rebuilding of lever
shocks, including how to make a washer with the right sized orifice and a
stronger spring for revalving. As I recall it also mentioned using light
synthetic engine oil as the fluid, I believe it was Mobil 1 5W-30. I like the
way it works, there sure isn't any bottoming out over big bumps, but it's
hard on the seals.

Steve Hedke
Great Race #45, 1957 Triumph TR3
britpac@aol.com