fot

Re: Gear Oil

To: Spitlist@gte.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear Oil
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:20:55 EST
In a message dated 1/15/03 4:13:26 PM Pacific Standard Time, Spitlist@gte.net
writes:

<< Thanks to all who have replied to my gear oil question.  The consensus
 appears to be that my assumption (the synthetic oil is too slippery for
 the synchros to function properly) is correct.

The Ams Oil gear oil seemed to work very well in both the overdrive
transmission and differential, and run cooler than the mineral gear oils.  I
also have not had any failures of these components while using this oil,
except one transmission resulting from an engine blowup.

Since Ams Oil seems to be disappearing, I tried the heavy weight Redline oil
in the overdrive transmission last time out.  Don't try this.