fot

RE: Suspension/Handling Questions

To: "'John Kipping'" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>,
Subject: RE: Suspension/Handling Questions
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:32:00 -0800
If it were only that easy. Other stuff happens, for example, if you lower
a car by shortening or weakening the springs then the suspension arms
angle more upward (or less downward depending on how you want to look at
it). Moving the rack up changes the relationship of the rack to the
inboard upper and lower suspension fixing points and  the relationship of
the tie rods to the steering arms. That will change the amount of camber
angle variation as the suspension travels (it will probably increase it,
but there is no way of saying for sure). You might wind up with way more
bump steer at the bottom of travel than at the top (or vice versa), which
makes for interesting handling differences, especially when one wheel
travels up and the other travels down against the resistance of the roll
bar. It will also change the amount of tire scuff induced by differential
camber (front wheel to front wheel) since that will change too. You might
lengthen or shorten the tie rods to try to compensate, but that will
induce a whole 'nother cycle of unintended consequences.

I started getting serious about modeling this stuff when I saw how many
things change when you tweak anything in a front suspension. Most of the
time people get their suspension to work by stiffening the front springs
to the point that it only travels when you hit a pothole at 85. That's not
the best way.

When you model a stock Triumph TR3 front suspension and put it through a
roll/bump you can't help but wonder how anyone can drive one to the store,
much less race one.