fot

Re: Gas No gas MIG

To: Robert Dardano <19to1tr6@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Gas No gas MIG
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:33:54 -0600
My partner and I recently purchased a Hobart MIG welder.  We use 75% Argon and
25% CO2, which is the common gas for mild steel.  The unit has 4 voltage
settings and infinite wire feed up to about 150 inches per minute.  I found that
the lowest voltage setting is necessary for sheet metal.  The 22 gauge sheet is
pretty hard to weld without blowing holes in it.  I had to set the wire feed to
as low as I could, which was about 5 inches per minute.  I'm using 0.030 wire
now and I think I'll have to drop to 0.023 if I want to do 22 gauge.  For 20
gauge and 18 gauge (which is what the TR-4 seems to be made out of) the 0.030
works okay if I'm careful.  So I plan to just use the heavier gauge, which
should work fine.
    What has really made a difference is the auto darkening helmet that I have
"on consignment" from a friend.  Seeing what I am doing really helps!  I had to
get a pair of reading glasses for welding because it is almost impossible to see
through the bifocals with the helmet or the gas goggles for brazing.  I need
that "fountain of youth" for my eyes!

Tim Murphy