fot

Re: Gas No gas MIGand kids

To: Susan & Jack Brooks <tr3a@att.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas No gas MIGand kids
From: Bob Bownes <bownes@seiri.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:08:16 -0500
I learned how to weld while working on a farm at about 12. Come to think
of it, that's pretty much where I learned most of my really practical
skills. The motto of "If you can't improvise, we can't use you" was
pretty appropriate. Gas, stick welding, large scale wrenching, fast car
wrenching (454 in a 59 chevy pickup), machining (if the crops have got
to come in and it's busted, you *make* the parts). I had welders,
grinders, wrenches, air wrenches, air guns, real guns, paint guns, all
tossed at me with little or no instruction. I spent a summer painting
the barn (yeah Red Lead) and the next summer roofing the barn. (and I
still have the hammer I bought for the job...Yeah Estwing). Somewhere in
there I managed to get passable at using all those tools (you hit a
moving groundhog @ 300 yards with a 30-30...:-) Or spend an afternoon
unsticking the BIG 4wd tractor up to its axles in mud. Great adventures.
Wouldn't trade 'em for the world.

Though, on the other hand, Dad is not the mechanical type, despite 34
years working for a car company, he's really not a car guy. How many of
us got it there? How many of us came by it by accident? Though, I have
admit, a few years ago, I found out my grandfather was a machinist, but
I never knew him.

Bob