fot

RE: Report on mods and performance

To: "'Chuck Arnold'" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>,
Subject: RE: Report on mods and performance
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:17:06 -0700
Sounds like great fun. At this point you've got plenty of car to go fast
with, you just need some lessons. I suggest you hook up with Cascade
Sports Car Club
http://www.cascadescc.com/racing_dt.cfm and sign up for a road racing
class. It's the best $189 you'll ever spend. You can also do SCCA classes,
but they are not as instructor-intensive. You'll take at least 10 seconds
off your time between the first session of the morning and the last of the
afternoon.

You'd also find that race organization-sponsored test and tune days will
give you a lot of track time and exposure to people that are trying to
really go fast. Very different from club lapping days.

Once you have the rough edges off your technique, spend the $3500 to go to
one of the advanced classes with instrumented cars. You'll learn more in
three days there than you will in five years of racing.

I fully understand the pleasure of doing modifications like this--I have
to constantly discipline myself to keep my vintage racers somewhere within
shouting distance of the 1962 specs. But the best money you will spend is
on the interface between the steering wheel and the seat. From the specs
I'm sure your car as modified is capable of 1:40 or less at Pacific even
being driven at 8/10ths