fot

Re: Report on mods and performance

To: "Chuck Arnold" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>,
Subject: Re: Report on mods and performance
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:04:05 -0700
I'm trying to figure out where to set the timing on my TR6.  My engine is
set up similarly, it has a stage 2 head also done by Performance, D9 cam set
precisely with vernier gear, triple Webers, long center branch header,
engine has been balanced, pistons (.020" over) matched for height and block
decked .018", rods lightened, flywheel lightened, I also modified the thrust
washers so as to have four instead of two.  I'm using stock valve train
except for the solid spacers between rockers.  It has a Lucas Sport coil and
racing wires, I built a distributor that has a 13 degree mechanical advance
and use a Pertronix ignitor with out a vacuum advance.
My question is where should I be with the timing at an idle?  or even static
if easier?  If it's easier to set the timing at speed I could do that also.
Everything I read says I should be around 32 degrees total advance at the
flywheel.  This would be 13 distributor degrees X 2 plus 6 degrees.  Does
this sound right?
Chuck, who did your Dyno work, are the local?  Thanks for any input.
Charly