fot

Interesting Difference of Opinion About TR2 and TR3 Small

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Interesting Difference of Opinion About TR2 and TR3 Small
From: "fredd" <fal@knology.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:59:18 -0700
I have no info on what Triumph did at the time of the TR2's, but I do know a
little what happened in the TR6 days.
When I worked for the Belgian Triumph assembly plant in Mechelen (Malines)
in Belgium in the early '70's, I do remember the transition from the 1972 to
the 1973 model TR6.
We had a shortage of the front spoiler, the front fender BL logo, and the
rear fender sticker with the TR6 & Union Jack.
The US cars all got these parts, but not the ones for Belgium.
The intention was to send these parts later to the dealers and for them to
install them on the cars.
Some dealers did, some not.
Later in 1979, when together with some friends we formed the TR Register
Belgium, one of our first members had such 1973 TR6 with no front spoiler,
no BL logo, and no Union Jack TR6 sticker on his car.
He was the original owner of the car and had the parts received from his
dealer but liked the car better with the 1972 look.
Later, on several shows he lost points for originality, but in my opinion he
should have had extra points because his car was a 100% factory build
original. He even kept the letter from the dealer with the invitation to
have the parts installed by the dealer.

Regards,
fredd