fot

mosport border crossing thoughts

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: mosport border crossing thoughts
From: "Tom Strange" <tstrange@new.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:07:17 -0500
Good morning,
  I just got off the phone with the gentleman that signed the customs letter
in our packet, allowing us to "temporarily" imprt goods into Canada.
  In talking he brought up a good point.  He suggested we have a reasonably
accurate list of what all is in our posession when we enter canada.  That way
if a border guard questioned if we were bring stuff to sell, we could present
the list to him.  He thought this had the potential for saving a delay or
problem.  (no gaurantees though)..  He suggested serial numbers on applicable
items ... trailer, car, etc., and a rough value of what we are bringing.  This
was all just to alleviate potential concerns of whatever customs inspector we
might get.  This seems like a goood idea to me (but i really dont want to know
the value... probably scare me..)
  My specific question for him was bringing in fuel, (cheaper here, by a lot)
which I have decided against doing.  It sounds like it is okay with customs,
but we may have to pay some tax on it as it will be consumed in Canada.  The
problem could occur in what a border agent may think of the method we are
using to transport it if he thinks of it as a hazardous materia..  With the
added issue of safety, I have decided just to buy fuel there.  (I may bring an
extra 5 gallons or so....)
  Just food for thought, hope it helps someone... have a good day, & see you
at mosport.
Tom
ps.  Scott ... Matt .... one more thing to do yet I guess.  ;o( .....