fot

RE: TR6 Axle Mod

To: "Fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Axle Mod
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:36:41 -0700
> As an adjunct to this, I also wondered whether anyone has investigated the
> possibility of plumbing in a 3-5 PSI residual pressure valve in the front
> line to ensure that the disk pads are kept up against the disk rotors?

When the TR3 switched to front discs, the factory started installing
residual pressure valves for just that reason.  They were deleted some time
during TR4 production, I don't know why.  Perhaps it was because tighter
recommended clearances reduced the problem, or maybe it was just a
cost-cutting measure.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the proposed
modification would be valid, even if one chose to still run some clearance.
There would still be some knock-back due to the clearance of course, so as
with most things it's a trade-off.

Zero clearance or even a slight pre-load should also be easy to measure, by
assembling with a "checking shim" of known thickness and measuring the end
float.  Subtracting the shim thickness from the measurement gives the
clearance or pre-load.

Not that it's all that hard to come up with a suitable torque gauge, all you
need is a lever arm and a weight.

Just my $.002, YMMV
Randall