fot

Emabarassing query

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Emabarassing query
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I'm installing some pistons tonite (or tomorrow)... I bought a set of JE
pistons, which are very nice indeed! This is for a TR6.

At any rate, the stock pistons have a mark cast into the face indicating
which way 'round the pistons should install. The forged JE pistons do not
have this mark. I presume that the stock pistons have the mark such that
the piston goes in one way, and I presume this is becuase of the amount of
"rock" the piston sees during the power stroke.

So - I measured the piston carefully to see of the pin is offset, and with
my fairly unsophisticated measurement I cannot determine if the wrist pin
holes have any offset to them. I also was not able to determine if there
is any offset on the stock pistons, but that's more because of my
measuring technique than anything else.

I also am a bit confused with the new rings (Deves). There are three
numbered sets, 1, 2, and "oil". The oil rings are a no-brainer. I put the
1's and 2's in the bore and measured the end-gap. The 1's measure .012,
the 2's measure .008. I _think_ the 2's are painted "top" on one side. To
my uncalibrated eye, the end gap is the only difference in the rings. The
"book" (Robert Bentley) indicates a ring gap which seems contradictory to
this.

So - which way 'round to the rings go? Should I put the larger gapped
rings on the first land or the second land?

Thanks in advance for any reply. I really don't want to mess up my $800
forged pistons!

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |